The Spectator, with illustrative notes : to which are prefixed the lives of the authors : comprehending Joseph Addison, Sir Richard Steele, Thomas Parnell, John Hughes, Eustace Budgel, Lawrence Eusden, Thomas Tickell, Alexander Pope : with critical remarks on their respective writings ... / by Robert Bisset, L.L.D. author of the Life of Burke, &c. &c.
- A new edition.
- London : Printed and published by Geo. Cawthorn, British Library, No. 132, Strand; Sold also by Messrs. Richardson, Royal-Exchange; W. West, and J. Wallis, Paternoster-Row; J. Hatchard and J. Wright, Piccadilly; and P. Hill, Edinburgh, 1799.
- Physical Description:
- 8 v. ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR1369 .S64 1799Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Dedication to Charles James Fox signed by the publisher G. Robertson.
Originally published in 635 numbers, from Mar. 1, 1711 to Dec. 6, 1712, and June 18 to Dec. 1714.
Edition statement precedes editor's name on title page.
ESTC (RLIN), T123112
The biographies occupy 334 pages at the beginning of v. 1.
BAC: British Art Center copy set made up from two editions. Volumes 2, 4, 5, and 6 are from an ealier edition with the following imprint: London: Printed by George Cawthorn, British Library, Strand. All 8 volumes are uniformly bound in tree calf. Armorial bookplate: Maurice Murray.
- Subject Terms:
- Addison, Joseph, 1672-1719.Budgell, Eustace, 1686-1737.English essays -- Early works to 1800.Eusden, Laurence, 1688-1730.Geo. Cawthorne -- Publisher.Hughes, John, 1677-1720.Murray, Maurice -- Bookplate.Parnell, Thomas, 1679-1718.Pope, Alexander, 1688-1744.Steele, Richard, Sir, 1672-1729.Tickell, Thomas, 1686-1740.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.