A picturesque tour through the Isle of Wight / by Charles Raye, Esq. ; illustrated by numerous views.
- Additional Title(s):
Picturesque views in the Isle of Wight
- London : Printed for the proprietor, by Howlett and Brimmer, Frith Street, Soho, 1825.
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 22 x 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.W6 R39 1823+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Publisher's printed title label: Picturesque views in the Isle of Wight. Coloured engraavings. Price £2 : 12s :6d. in extra boards.
Plates 22 and 23 signed: C. Rosenberg sculpt. The remainder are unsigned.
Tooley, R.V. English books with coloured plates, 1790-1860, p. 206
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, p. 349
Abbey, J.R. Scenery of Great Britain and Ireland in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 349
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in half red roan. Roan label on front cover: Views in the Isle of Wight.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1825.Howlett and Brimmer -- Publisher.Isle of Wight (England) -- Description and travel.Isle of Wight (England) -- Pictorial works.Landscape -- England -- Isle of Wight.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
- View of the Isle of Wight from Portsmouth Harbour
- Village of Carisbrooke
- Carisbrooke Castle
- Entrance to Carisbrooke Castle
- View of the needles from Chale Bay
- Rocks near Chale Bay
- Village of Niton
- Sand Rock near Niton
- Black Gang Chine
- View from the top of Black Gang Chine
- St. Laurence's Church
- Undercliff near Mirables
- Bonn Church
- View near Luccombe Chine
- Ventnor Cove
- View at Shanklin
- Shanklin Church
- Shanklin Chine
- Culver Cliffs from Sandham Bay
- Distant View of Culver Cliffs
- Cowes Castle
- View of Spithead from Ryde
- Freshwater Cave.