Raye, Charles, A picturesque tour through the Isle of Wight , 1825
- A picturesque tour through the Isle of Wight / by Charles Raye, Esq. ; illustrated by numerous views.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Picturesque views in the Isle of Wight
- London : Printed for the proprietor, by Howlett and Brimmer, Frith Street, Soho, 1825.
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 22 x 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.W6 R39 1823+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Publisher's printed title label: Picturesque views in the Isle of Wight. Coloured engraavings. Price £2 : 12s :6d. in extra boards.
Plates 22 and 23 signed: C. Rosenberg sculpt. The remainder are unsigned.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery, 349
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed), p. 206
Prideaux, S.T. Aquatint engraving, p. 349
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in half red roan. Roan label on front cover: Views in the Isle of Wight.
- View of the Isle of Wight from Portsmouth Harbour -- Village of Carisbrooke -- Carisbrooke Castle -- Entrance to Carisbrooke Castle -- View of the needles from Chale Bay -- Rocks near Chale Bay -- Village of Niton -- Sand Rock near Niton -- Black Gang Chine -- View from the top of Black Gang Chine -- St. Laurence's Church -- Undercliff near Mirables -- Bonn Church -- View near Luccombe Chine -- Ventnor Cove -- Dunnose -- View at Shanklin -- Shanklin Church -- Shanklin Chine -- Culver Cliffs from Sandham Bay -- Distant View of Culver Cliffs -- Cowes Castle -- View of Spithead from Ryde -- Freshwater Cave.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1825.Howlett and Brimmer -- Publisher.Isle of Wight (England) -- Description and travel.Isle of Wight (England) -- Pictorial works.Landscape -- England -- Isle of Wight.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1825.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.