IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Greenwood, Jonathan, The sailing and fighting instructions, or, Signals as they are observed in the Royal Navy of Great Britain, [1715?]
The sailing and fighting instructions, or, Signals as they are observed in the Royal Navy of Great Britain.
- Additional Title(s):
Sailing and fighting instructions
Signals as they are observed in the Royal Navy of Great Britain
- [London?] : [s.n.], [1715?]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : chiefly ill. ; 15 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsV285.G7 G74 1715Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-tooled mottled calf. Bookplate: Lionell Copley, Esq. Inscribed: Jos. Will. Copley 1812.
BEIN 2022 139: 16 cm. Ownership inscriptions on title page: J.F. Lane; Edward Herbert. Inscribed on final page: This book is mine, Jacob [?] Earl.
Pictorial representations (partly colored) of the signals to be used by day, in fog and at night, as specified in the Admiralty's printed Instructions.
Dedication to the Lords commissioners of the admiralty signed: Jonathan Greenwood.
Date of publication from ESTC.
The "Sailing and fighting instructions" were first published in 1691 and revised in 1703. In the revised form the 'Instructions' were published frequently until 1783. Cf. J.S. Corbett, Fighting instructions 1530-1816.
First leaf (title page and first page of dedication) printed on both sides.
Adams, T.R. English maritime books printed before 1801, 1890
English short title catalogue, T120218
Corbett, J.S. Signals and instructions, 16
- Subject Terms:
- Aids to navigation -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Copley, Jos. Will. -- Autograph, 1812Copley, Lionell Esq. -- Bookplate.Earl, Jacob -- Autograph.Great Britain. Royal Navy -- Communications systems -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain. Royal Navy -- Regulations -- Early works to 1800.Herbert, Edward -- Autograph.Lane, J. F. -- Autograph.Navigation -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Signals and signaling -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1715.
Engravings -- 1715.
Engraved books (Printing)
Spreading Canvas - Eighteenth - Century British Marine Painting (Yale Center for British Art, 2016-09-09 - 2016-12-04) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.