Greenwood, Jonathan, The sailing and fighting instructions, or, Signals as they are observed in the Royal navy of Great Britain, [1715?]
- The sailing and fighting instructions, or, Signals as they are observed in the Royal navy of Great Britain.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Sailing and fighting instructions
Signals as they are observed in the Royal navy of Great Britain
- [London?] : [s.n.], [1715?]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : chiefly ill ; 15 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsV285.G7 G74 1715Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Pictorial representations (partly colored) of the signals to be used by day, in fog and at night, as specified in the Admiralty's printed Instructions.
Dedication to the Lords commissioners of the admiralty signed: Jonathan Greenwood.
Date of publication from ESTC.
The "Sailing and fighting instructions" were first published in 1691 and revised in 1703. In the revised form the 'Instructions' were published frequently until 1783. Cf. J.S. Corbett, Fighting instructions 1530-1816.
First leaf (title page and first page of dedication) printed on both sides.
Adams & Waters. English Maritime books, 1890
Corbett, J.S. Signals and instructions, 16
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-tooled mottled calf. Bookplate: Lionell Copley, Esq. Inscribed: Jos. Will. Copley 1812.
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Aids to navigation -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Copley, Jos. Will. -- Autograph, 1812Copley, Lionell Esq. -- Bookplate.Great Britain. Royal Navy -- Communications systems -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain. Royal Navy -- Regulations -- Early works to 1800.Navigation -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.Signals and signaling -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1715.
Engravings -- 1715.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.