Croker, Thomas Crofton, 1798-1854, Specimen of the catalogue of the great sale at Gooseberry Hall , 
- Specimen of the catalogue of the great sale at Gooseberry Hall : with puffatory remarks.
- [London] : To be had of T. and W. Boone, 29, New Bond Street, 
- Physical Description:
- xv,  p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR4518.C75 S64 1842+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- A satire on Walpole's Catalogue of the classic contents of Strawberry Hill.
"Gooseberry Hall, the renowned seat of Sir Hildebrod Gooseberry. Mr. Triptolemus Scattergoods has been flattered by having been impropriated by Wildrake Gooseberry, Esq. to submit by the process of public competition to the public the classical contents of Gooseberry Hall, and it may be unhesitatingly be proclaimed as the most brilliant feather that has ever adorned the cap of an auctioneer."--p. [i].
Attributed to T.C. Croker (cf. Notes and queries).
Date of publication from NSTC.
"Price one shilling"--Foot of title page.
Notes & queries. London : Oxford University press, Ser. 10, v. 12, p. 217
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original printed paper wrappers, as issued.
- Subject Terms:
- English wit and humor.Satire, English.Strawberry Hill (Twickenham, London, England)T. and W. Boone -- Publisher.Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797 Catalogue of the classic contents of Strawberry Hill -- Parodies, travesties, etc.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.