Ellis, Henry, Sir, 1777-1869, Journal of the proceedings of the late embassy to China; , 1817
- Journal of the proceedings of the late embassy to China; : comprising a correct narrative of the public transactions of the embassy, of the voyage to and from China, and of the journey from the mouth of the Pei-Ho to the return to Canton. Interspersed wih observations upon the face of the country, the polity, moral character, and manners of the Chinese nation. The whole illustrated by maps and drawings / by Henry Ellis. Third commissioner of the embassy.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Proceedings of the late embassy to China
Lord Amherst's embassy to China
- London : Printed for John Murray, Albemarle-Street, 1817.
- Physical Description:
- vii, , 526,  p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS709 .E45 1817+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS709 .E45 1817+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Printed by T. Davison, Lombard-street, Whitefriars.
Illustrations by J. Clark; after Charles Abbott and M. Brownrigg. Maps by Neele & Son.
Each plate accompanied by a guard sheet.
Abbey, J. R. Travel, 536
Includes an "Appendix of Official Papers, chiefly translations from the Chinese, and an Itinerary corresponding with the text"--Cf. Preface.
"A second edition in two volumes, 8vo, was published in 1818 at ℓ1.1s in boards, and there were editions in America, Philadelphia, 1818; in France, Paris, 1818; and in Italy, Milan, 1819. There was another English edition in 1840"--Cf. Abbey.
With a final errata leaf.
BAC: Two copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy in gilt-stamped calf binding.
BAC: Spine title of copy 1: Proceedings of the late embassy to China.
BAC: Copy 2 in original boards.
BAC: Spine title of copy 2: Lord Amherst's embassy to China by Henry Ellis, Esq., secretary of legation. Plates and maps. ℓ2:2s.
BAC: Label mounted on back of front cover of copy 2: Marks & Co. Antiquarian booksellers. 84 Charing Cross Road. London, W.C. 2
- Subject Terms:
- China -- Description and travel.China -- Foreign relations -- Great Britain.Davison, T. -- Printer.Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- China.Murray, John -- Publisher.
- Soft-ground etchings -- 1817.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1817.
Stipple engravings -- 1817.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.