The history and doctrine of Budhism : popularly illustrated : with notices of the Kappooism, or demon worship, and of the Bali, or planetary incantations, of Ceylon / by Edward Upham, M.R.A.S. ; with forty-three lithographic prints from original Singalese designs.
- London : Printed for R. Ackermann, Strand : J. Upham, Bath : C. Upham, Exeter : and Dondéy-Dupré, Librairie Orientale, Rue Richelieu, Paris, 1829.
London : James Bullock, printer, Lombard-Street, Whitefriars, 
- Physical Description:
- , vii, , 136 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBQ354 .U75 1829+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- One of Ackermann's last publications, and apparently his first venture in colored lithography in book form.
Abbey, J.R. Travel 413
Hardie, M. English coloured books, p. 116
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary half calf and marbled boards; rebacked. Armorial bookplates: John Roland Abbey; Charles Home Lloyd Fitzwilliams, of Cilwyn.
- Subject Terms:
- Buddhism.Buddhist art.Bullock, James -- Printer.Dondéy-Dupré -- Publisher.Fitzwilliams, Charles Home Lloyd, of Cilwyn -- Bookplate.Sri Lanka -- Religion.Upham, C. -- Publisher.Upham, J. -- Publisher.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1829.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Upham, Edward, 1776-1834, The history and doctrine of Budhism , 1829
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.