The history and doctrine of Budhism : popularly illustrated : with notices of the Kappooism, or demon worship, and of the Bali, or planetary incantations, of Ceylon / by Edward Upham, M.R.A.S. ; with forty-three lithographic prints from original Singalese designs.
- London : Printed for R. Ackermann, Strand : J. Upham, Bath : C. Upham, Exeter : and Dondéy-Dupré, Librairie Orientale, Rue Richelieu, Paris, 1829.
London : James Bullock, printer, Lombard-Street, Whitefriars, 
- Physical Description:
- , vii, , 136 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 38 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBQ354 .U75 1829+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- One of Ackermann's last publications, and apparently his first venture in colored lithography in book form.
Hardie, M. English coloured books, p. 116
Abbey, J.R. Travel in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 413
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in contemporary half calf and marbled boards; rebacked. Armorial bookplates: John Roland Abbey; Charles Home Lloyd Fitzwilliams, of Cilwyn.
- Subject Terms:
- Buddhism.Buddhist art.Bullock, James -- Printer.Dondéy-Dupré -- Publisher.Fitzwilliams, Charles Home Lloyd, of Cilwyn -- Bookplate.Sri Lanka -- Religion.Upham, C. -- Publisher.Upham, J. -- Publisher.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1829.
Armorial Bookplates (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Upham, Edward, 1776-1834, The history and doctrine of Budhism , 1829
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.