A concise and accurate description of the university, town, and county of Cambridge : containing a particular history of the colleges and public buildings, their founders and benefactors : with an account of the considerable improvements which have lately been made throughout the University : correct lists of the University officers, &c. an invariable rule for the beginnings and endings of the Cambridge terms : and other useful notes relative to the University. To which is added, an exact account of the roads, posts, coaches, diligences, stage-waggons, &c. Illustrated with several neat views of publick buildings, and a very accurate plan of the university and town.
- Additional Title(s):
- A new edition, corrected and enlarged.
- Cambridge : Printed by J. Archdeacon, printer to the University, for J. & J. Merrill, booksellers in Cambridge, [1790?]
- Physical Description:
- , 149,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill., plan ; 18 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsLF114 .C36 1790Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Originally published in 1763 under title "Cantabrigia Depicta".
Engravings by Peter Spendelowe Lamborn and John Woodyer, after John Heins.
Probable date of publication from ESTC.
Frontispiece is a folded double leaf engraved plan of Cambridge.
English short title catalogue, T65428
British Museum. General catalogue of printed books to 1955 (compact edition), v. 4, 538
Anderson, John P. Book of British topography,1970, p. 159
"Churches in Cambridge, with their patrons": p. 140-144.
"Account of the Great Roads from Cambridge": p. 145-148.
"Directions to the binder": p. 149.
BAC: British Art Center copy inscribed: D. Wagstaff, 1791.
- Subject Terms:
- Archdeacon, J. -- Printer.Cambridge (England) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- [1790?]J. & J. Merrill -- Publisher.Universities and colleges -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.University of Cambridge -- History -- Early works to 1800.Wagstaff, D. -- Autograph, 1791.
YCBA Collections Search
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
A concise and accurate description of the university, town, and county of Cambridge , [1790?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.