A concise and accurate description of the university, town, and county of Cambridge , [1790?]
- A concise and accurate description of the university, town, and county of Cambridge : containing a particular history of the colleges and public buildings, their founders and benefactors : with an account of the considerable improvements which have lately been made throughout the University : correct lists of the University officers, &c. an invariable rule for the beginnings and endings of the Cambridge terms : and other useful notes relative to the University. To which is added, an exact account of the roads, posts, coaches, diligences, stage-waggons, &c. Illustrated with several neat views of publick buildings, and a very accurate plan of the university and town.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Cantabrigia depicta
- A new edition, corrected and enlarged.
- Cambridge : Printed by J. Archdeacon, printer to the University, for J. & J. Merrill, booksellers in Cambridge, [1790?]
- Physical Description:
- , 149,  p.,  leaves of plates : ill., plan ; 18 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsLF114 .C36 1790Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Originally published in 1763 under title "Cantabrigia Depicta".
Engravings by Peter Spendelowe Lamborn and John Woodyer, after John Heins.
Probable date of publication from ESTC.
Frontispiece is a folded double leaf engraved plan of Cambridge.
BM (compact edition), v. 4, 538
Anderson, John P. Book of British topography,1970, p. 159
"Churches in Cambridge, with their patrons": p. 140-144.
"Account of the Great Roads from Cambridge": p. 145-148.
"Directions to the binder": p. 149.
BAC: British Art Center copy inscribed: D. Wagstaff, 1791.
- Subject Terms:
- Archdeacon, J. -- Printer.Cambridge (England) -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- [1790?]J. & J. Merrill -- Publisher.Universities and colleges -- Great Britain -- Early works to 1800.University of Cambridge -- History -- Early works to 1800.Wagstaff, D. -- Autograph, 1791.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.