Browne, Clare Woodthorpe, Lace from the Victoria and Albert museum , 2004
Lace from the Victoria and Albert museum / Clare Browne ; photography by Christine Smith.
- London : V & A Publications ; New York : Distributed by Harry N. Abrams, 2004.
- Physical Description:
- 144 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 30 cm
- Reference LibraryNK9442 .B76 2004 (LC) OversizeAccessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email firstname.lastname@example.org]
- Includes bibliographical references (page 144).
"Among the many outstanding textile collections in the V&A, hand-made lace is one of the most exquisite. The collection is comprehensive in its coverage of the technique over more than three hundred years, whether the delicate geometric perfection favoured by Elizabethan courtiers, or the bold floral exuberance of the Victorian age. Clare Browne has selected 100 examples across this range of designs and fashions in lace, to demonstrate the variety, skill and beauty lace makers have achieved in their work." "Details have all been specially photographed, and the result is a feast for the eye as well as a survey of exquisite craftsmanship. This book will be additionally valuable as a record of important parts of a collection which by its nature is too fragile to be kept on permanent display, and offers a wide-ranging survey of the art and craft of lace making down the ages."--BOOK JACKET.
- Subject Terms:
- Kant.Knitted lace -- Pictorial works.Knitted lace.Lace and lace making -- History.Lace and lace making.Needlepoint lace -- Pictorial works.Needlepoint lace.