A description and historical account of the places, now the theatre of war in the Low Countries : viz Charlemont, Givet, Arras, St. Omer, Bethune, Aire, Lens, Bapaume, Hedin, St. Venant, Lillers, St. Paul, Dunkirk, Berg St. Vinox, Cassel, Bourbourg, Gravelines, Lisle, Douay, St. Amand, Armentiers, Orchies, Comines, La Bôssee, Tourcoing, Valenciennes, Maubeuge, Conde, Le Quesnoy, Bouchain, Landrecies, Philippeville, Avesnes, Chimay, Bavay, Cambray, Cateau-Cambresis, Thionville, Montmedi, &c. : embellished with a frontispiece and plans of those places the most remarkable for their fortifications / by Philip Astley, of Hercules Hall, Lambeth, London ; author of the "Remarks of the profession and duty of a soldier and other observations relative to the Arny.".
- London : Printed for the author, 1794.
- Physical Description:
- v, , 82 p.,  folded leaves of plates : ill., facsim., plans ; 22 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDH801.F43 A88 1794Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Plates signed: Gale, engraver, Crooked Lane.
English short title catalogue, T223061
BAC: British Art Center copy in original marbled wrapper.
- Subject Terms:
- Astley, Phillip -- Publisher.Cities and towns -- Flanders -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1794.Etching -- Specimens -- 1794.Flanders -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Flanders -- History, Military -- Early works to 1800.France -- History, Military -- 1789-1815 -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- History, Military -- 1789-1820 -- Early works to 1800.
YCBA Collections Search
Astley, Philip, 1742-1814, A description and historical account of the places, now the theatre of war in the Low Countries , 1794
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.