Clothing culture, 1350-1650 , c2004
Clothing culture, 1350-1650 / edited by Catherine Richardson.
- Aldershot, England ; Ashgate, c2004.
Burlington, VT : Ashgate, c2004.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 290 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Reference LibraryGT575 .C58 2004 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Related Content:
- Table of contents
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 263-286) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- Europe -- History.Clothing and dress -- History -- 17th century.Clothing and dress -- History -- Medieval, 500-1500.Clothing and dress -- Social aspects -- Europe.
- Introduction / Catherine Richardson. Fabrics of nation. The cultural significance of costume books in sixteenth century Europe / Ulrike Ilg
- A question of nation : foreign cloth on the English subject / Roze Hentschell
- Tomb effigies and archaic dress in sixteenth century Ireland / Elizabeth Wincott Heckett
- The formation of Russian women's costume at the time before the reforms of Peter the Great / Oksana Sekatcheva. Marking distinctions. Clothing courtesans : fabrics, signals, and experiences / Tessa Storey
- Clothing the naked in late medieval East Kent / Sheila Sweetinburgh
- Dress, nudity and Calvinist culture in sixteenth century France
- Graeme Murdock
- Social fabric in Thynne's debate between pride and lowliness / Claire Bartram. Material movements. Clothing distributions and social relations c. 1350-1500 / Joanna Crawford
- Fashion, finance, foreign politics and the wardrobe of Henry VIII / Maria Hayward
- Reworked material : discourses of clothing culture in early sixteenth century Greenwich / Elisabeth Salter. Discourse, body, gender. 'This one poore blacke gowne lined with white' : the clothing of the sixteenth century English book / Helen smith
- 'Havying nothing upon hym saving onely his sherte' : event, narrative and material culture in early modern England / Catherine Richardson
- Rips and slits : the torn garment and the medieval self / Andrea Denny-Brown
- Speaking to reveal : the body
- and acts of 'exposure' in early modern popular discourse / Elizabeth Hallam.