IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
The humourist , 1819-1822
The humourist : a collection of entertaining tales, anecdotes, repartees, witty sayings, epigrams, bon mots, jeu d'esprits, &c. carefully selected.
- London : Printed and published by J. Robins and Co., Albion Press, 1819-1822.
- Physical Description:
- 4 v. : col. ill., ; 17 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPN6173 .H86 1819Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Gloria ScheuerView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Volume numbering on title pages and added engraved t.p., except for v. 1 added engraved t.p., which lacks volume statement. Cf. Cohn.
Added engraved t.-p., with colored vignette, in each vol., with colored frontispieces.
First edition. Plates carry publisher's name and dates, with exceptions of plate  (facing p. 164), of v. 2 and plate  (facing p. 45) of v. 3, which are undated. Three plates in v. 4 (facing p. 143, 161, & 209) are dated April 1821.
Illustrations: 40 full-page color etchings, including added title-pages to each volume, by George Cruikshank; dated 1819-1821.
"Vol. 1 was reissued in 1822, so dated on the title, the dates running 1822, 1819, 1819, 1820. There are differences in the letterpress of this reissue. Notably at p. 44, where in the first issue the take is 'Dr. Johnson,' while in the 1822 issue it is 'Epitaph on a Dyer'."--Cohn.
Cohn, A.M. George Cruikshank, 419
BAC: British Art Center copy ound in half red morocco and red cloth, with gilt edges. V. 1 is the 1822 reissue. P. 44: Epitaph on a Dyer.
- Subject Terms:
- Caricatures and cartoons -- England -- 19th century.Cartoonists -- England -- 19th century.Etching, Colored -- Specimens -- 1819-1822.J. Robins and Co. -- Publisher.Scheuer, Gloria -- Provenance.Wit and humor, English.
- Hand-colored illustrations.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.