The Historiscope : a panorama & history of America.
- Additional Title(s):
Panorama and history of America
- [Springfield, Mass.] : Published by Milton Bradley & Co., 
- Physical Description:
- 1 toy : lithograph, col. ; 13 x 20 cm. in box 13 x 20 x 5 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN7436.5 .B73 1868Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a digital version in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- BEIN Shirley 3915: Imperfect: tickets and bottom of outer box wanting.
A toy panorama, for the use of children.
Sixteen scenes from American history are pasted together side by side to form a long panoramic strip. The strip is mounted on two rollers within a one-sided box; exterior cranks turn the strip. The panorama appears in a cut-out window on the box and printed decorations on the area around the window make it look like a stage, with a proscenium arch, stage floor, footlights and audience members.
The box containing the panorama is placed within an outer box, on the the top of which is the title.
Toy includes printed tickets which children could use when presenting the show: Historiscope. Admit one. [blank], proprietor.
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect; tickets wanting. Inscribed: Ransom B. Scrafford, Clifton Park, Saratoga Co., NY.
- Subject Terms:
- Panoramas -- United States.Toy and movable books -- Specimens.United States -- History -- Pictorial works -- Juvenile literature.
- Recreations -- Massachusetts -- Springfield -- 1868.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1868.
Panoramas -- Massachusetts -- Springfield.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.