The Myriopticon [toy] : a historical panorama of the Rebellion.
- Additional Title(s):
Panorama of the Rebellion
- Springfield, Mass. : Published by Milton Bradley & Co., 
- Physical Description:
- 1 toy : lithograph, col. ; 13 x 20 cm. in box 13 x 20 x 5 cm. + booklet (7,  p.; 20 cm.) + 1 poster (40 x 28 cm. folded to 20 x 10 cm.) + 1 sheet of tickets (11 x 18 cm.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsGV1199 .M97 1868Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a digital version in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database (Shirley 3916)
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- BEIN Shirley 3916: Imperfect: cranks wanting.
BEIN Shirley 3917: Imperfect: top of outer box, cranks, tickets, poster and booklet wanting.
A toy panorama for the use of children.
Title from top of outer box.
Twenty-two scenes from the Civil War are pasted together side by side to form a long panoramic strip. The strip is mounted on two rollers within a one-sided box; exterior cranks turn the strip. The panorama appears in a cut-out window on the box and printed decorations on the area around the window make it look like a stage.
The box containing the panorama is placed within an outer box, on the the top of which is the title.
Toy includes a sheet (11 x 18 cm) of 42 printed tickets which children could use when presenting the show: Reserved seat, admit the bearer to the Myriopticon, [blank] proprietor, no. [blank].
Toy also includes a poster advertising the show ("Grand artistic and historical exhibition! The Myriopticon ... ") and a booklet (7,  p.; 20 cm.) entitled, "Myriopticon lecture", and including, on the final p.: Directions to the proprietor of the Myriopticon.
Marten, J. “History in a Box: Milton Bradley's Myriopticon.” In The Journal of the History of Childhood and Youth 2, no. 1 (2009), pages 3-7
BAC: British Art Center copy lacks cranks. In original box, with the booklet and 39 (of the original 42) printed tickets. Also includes the fictitious broadside advertisement, housed and cataloged separately (Folio A 2015 3u).
- Subject Terms:
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Pictorial works -- Juvenile literature.
- Recreations -- Massachusetts -- Springfield -- 1868.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.