Bidwell, John, 1949-, Fine papers at the Oxford University Press , 
Fine papers at the Oxford University Press / by John Bidwell.
- Risbury, Herefordshire : Whittington Press, 
- Physical Description:
- 10 unnumbered pages, 85 pages, 2 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations, 42 samples ; 39 cm
- Reference LibraryTS1124.5 B54 1999 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Issued in a slipcase.
"This edition of 300 copies is set in 14-point Centaur (from matrices belonging originally to Oxford University Press) printed at Whittington on Zerkall mould-made paper, & half-bound with Fabriano Roma paper. 65 copies are half-bound in leather and contain a portfolio of 25 whole sheets of the papers. Bound by The Fine Bindery. July 1999. This is copy no: [blank]"--Colophon; copies numbered in ink.
With a leaf of illustrations (photographs of paper mills on recto, photographs of watermarks on the verso); 2 mounted samples in the text ("Arnold & Foster's Unbleached", page 22; "Leaf from the Hesperides series", page ). The 40 partial-sheet specimens are mounted on leaves of black paper at the end, in sequence as described and numbered in the text but themselves unnumbered.
Issued in box.
The 65 special copies (numbered i-lxv) are bound in half blue-green goat and green Fabriano Roma boards; the 25 sample sheets are numbered in blind. Issued in a green linen drop-spine case with grey goat spine (height 44 cm).
Includes bibliographical references.
- Subject Terms:
- England -- Oxford.Europe.Fine books -- England -- Oxford.Fine books.Johnson, John de Monins, 1882-1956.Johnson, John de Monins, 1882-1956.Oxford University Press.Oxford University Press.Oxford University Press.Paper -- Sample books.Paper, Handmade -- Europe.Paper, Handmade.Papermakers -- Europe.Papermakers.Papermaking -- Great Britain.Papermaking -- History.Papermaking.Papier.
- Sample papers (fibre products -- England -- 20th century.
Cloth half bindings -- England -- 1999.
Mould-made papers -- Fabriano Roma -- England -- 1999.
Mould-made papers -- Zerkall -- England -- 1999.
Numbered limited editions -- England -- 1999.
Roman (upright typeface group) -- Centaur -- England -- 1999.
Slipcases -- England -- 1999.
Type sizes -- 14 point -- England -- 1999.
Private press books -- England -- 1999.
Case bindings (Binding)
Typefaces (Type evidence) -- Centaur.
Handmade papers (Paper) -- 20th century.
- Part one. Introduction (The art of hamdmade paper. The manufacture and sale of handmade paper. Fine printing in a consumer society. John Johnson's typographical adventure. Rising prices and falling profits. Origins and specifications of the Oxford papers)
- Part two. The papers.