The speculum, or, Art of drawing in water colours : and instructions for sketching from nature : comprising the whole process of a water-coloured drawing, familiarly exemplified in drawing, shadowing, and tinting a complete landscape, in all its progressive stages : with directions for compounding and using colours, sepia, indian ink, bister, etc. / by J.Hassell.
- Additional Title(s):
Art of drawing in water colours
- Second edition.
- London : Printed by W. Flint, Old Bailey, for the author and sold by T. Tegg, 111, Cheapside, and M. Jones, 5, Newgate Street, and to be had of all booksellers in the United Kingdom, 1810.
- Physical Description:
- 56 p.,  folded leaf of plates : ill. ; 16 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND2420 .H37 1810Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- With a frontispiece etched by John Hassell.
First published in 1809. A third edition appeared in 1816. Revised edition published in 1823 under title The Camera.
- Subject Terms:
- Color -- Study and teaching.Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Etching -- Specimens -- 1810.Flint, W., -- Printer.Hassell, J. (John), d. 1825 -- PublisherLandscape painting -- 19th century -- Great Britain.Landscape painting -- Technique.Watercolor painting -- 19th century -- Great Britain.Watercolor painting -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Watercolor painting -- Technique.
- Handbooks and manuals.
YCBA Collections Search
Hassell, J. (John), d. 1825, The speculum, or, Art of drawing in water colours , 1810
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.