Marcus Ward & Co.'s Popular series of water-color views of England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland : with descriptive notes ; in eight packets, price 1s. 6d. each ; or, in mounts, gilt bevelled edges, 3s. each packet.
- Additional Title(s):
Popular series of water-color views of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland
- London : Marcus Ward & Co., 67, 68, Chandos Street, Covent Garden, W. C. : [ca. 1870]
Belfast, [ca. 1870]
- Physical Description:
- 8 pt. : chiefly ill. ; 26 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA667 .M37 1870+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- With three chomolithographed illustrations in each of the eight packets. Each view accompanied by a slip of letterpress description, affixed to the back of the plate.
Illustrations are signed T.L. Rowbotham. The artist is probably Thomas Leeson Rowbotham (1783-1853) or Thomas Charles Leeson Rowbotham (1823-1875).
Description based on the cover title to packet no. 3.
"The Irish views are in preparation."--Cover.
BAC: British Art Center copy is incomplete. Includes original printed paper wrapper for packet 3, with 9 plates from various packets. Descriptive slip pasted on verso of some identify the views as: Buttermere; Glengareff (Ireland); Moel Siabod; Derwentwater; Glendalough (Ireland); two views of castles: Kilchurn Castle (?) and Carnarvon (?); plus two unidentified landscapes.
- Subject Terms:
- Castles -- Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Great Britain -- Pictorial works.Ireland -- Pictorial works.Marcus Ward & Co. -- Publisher.
- Chromolithographs -- 1870.
- Contents, from cover title: No. 1. Buttermere, Cumberland, Skiddaw, Derwentwater & Saddleback, Eagle Crag, Borrowdale
- No. 2. Head of Windermere, Rydal Water, Westmoreland, Langdale, Westmoreland
- No. 3. Linlithgow, Ben Nevis, from Bannavie, Loch Leven Castle
- No. 4. Doune Castle, Loch Katrine, Kilchurn Castle
- No. 5. Carnavon Castle, Cader Idris, from the Barmouth road, Moel Siabod, from Bettws-y-Coed
- No. 6. Snowdon, Conway Castle, Beddgelert.