Morris & company's furniture prints : we have great pleasure in announcing to you that we are now able to reduce considerably the prices of our hand-printed cotton, linen, and worsted cloths ....
- Additional Title(s):
Morris and company's furniture prints
- London : [Morris & Co.], [188-?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet ( p.) ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNK1534.M67 M67 1880+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of David Doret, Yale BA 1968Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The firm of Morris & Co., manufacturers and retailers of stained glass, furniture, wallpaper and fabrics, was organized by the noted artist and writer, William Morris (1834-1896). Before 1875, the firm was known as Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co. "The wallpapers and textile designs have been the most enduring contributions ... According to an article in The Spectator (anon., 24 Nov 1883, p. 1508), 'Morris has become a household word for all who wish their material surroundings to be beautiful yet appropriate for homely use, neat not gaudy'. Ultimately the firm designed some 53 wallpapers and around 37 chintzes."--Oxford Art Online.
"Show rooms: 449, Oxford Street, London, & 35 Dalton Street, Manchester. Works: Merton Abbey, Surrey."
Printed on laid paper, watermarked 1880.
- Subject Terms:
- Decoration and ornament -- Great Britain.Morris & Co. (London, England)Morris, William, 1834-1896.Printed ephemera -- Great Britain -- Specimens.Textile fabrics -- Great Britain.Wall hangings -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
- Advertisements -- Great Britain -- 19th century.
YCBA Collections Search
Morris & Co. (London, England), Morris & company's furniture prints , [188-?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.