Moore, Clement Clarke, 1779-1863, A visit from Saint Nicholas , 1862
A visit from Saint Nicholas / illustrated from drawings by F.O.C. Darley.
- Additional Title(s):
Night before Christmas
- New York: : James G. Gregory, publisher. Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1862, by James G. Gregory, in the Clerk's Office of the District Court of the United States, for the Southern District of New York., 1862.
- Physical Description:
-  pages : color illustrations ; 26 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPS2429. M5 N54 1862 BoxYale Center for British Art, Gift of Ellen and Arthur Liman, Yale JD 1957Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a digital version in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database
- BEIN Shirley +568: Cover with unsigned design surrounded by vines and two line illustration statement.
Title, imprint, and copyright statements transcribed from upper cover.
By Clement Clarke Moore.
Variant issues noted. One bears a cover design signed by "N. Orr-Co." and the illustration statement appears on one line. Another issue has an unsigned cover design surrounded by a frame of vines and the illustration statement is divided into two lines, the first line ending with "drawings."
"Alvord, printer"--P. . Corydon A. Alvord printed in New York between 1845 and 1873. The publishing firm headed by James G. Gregory issued titles in New York between 1859 and 1865.
Wood-engraved illustrations printed in colored ink.
In printed stiff-paper cover.
Wood engravings signed by N. Orr & Co.
Hamilton, S. Amer. book illustrators (1958 ed.), 653 (4)
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original printed wrappers. Issue with cover design signed by "N. Orr-Co." and the illustration statement appears on one line.
- Subject Terms:
- Children's poetry, American.Children's poetry.Christmas -- Juvenile poetry.Christmas poetry.Liman, Ellen and Arthur -- Provenance.Picture books for children.Santa Claus.
- Juvenile literature.
Wood engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1862.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.