Tomkins, Peltro William, 1759-1840, To the Queen this book of etchings, from papers cut by the Right Honourable Lady Templeton in the collection of Her Majesty, is with permission most humbly dedicated , 
- To the Queen this book of etchings, from papers cut by the Right Honourable Lady Templeton in the collection of Her Majesty, is with permission most humbly dedicated / by most devoted and very much obliged serv. P. W. Tomkins.
- London : Publish'd as the Act directs June 4. 1790, by J.F. Tomkins, 
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves : chiefly ill. ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE642.T66 A4 1790+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Twelve etched plates, depicting women and children, printed on colored papers (blue or orange); with an engraved title page.
"They have been incorrectly described as another series after Princess Elizabeth's paper cuts, under another pseudonym, Lady Templeton; however, they are similar to a series of designs titled 'Domestic employments' and 'Maternity' made for Wedgwood in the 1780s by the amateur modeller, Elizabeth, Lady Templeton (1747-1823) ..."--Sloan.
ESTC (RLIN), T118759
Sloan, K. Noble art : amateur artists and drawing masters, p. 237
BAC: British Art Center copy plates are printed on blue paper, and each is mounted separately to blank leaves in the present volumes. Includes hree original paper cut-outs, two of which have been pasted so as to frame the dedication leaf; the third is mounted above one of the plates in which it is reproduced in reverse. An additional hand-colored etching by W. Platt has been mounted as a frontispiece. Bound in contemporary gilt- and blind-tooled tree calf.
- Subject Terms:
- Clothing and dress -- Great Britain -- 18th century.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 18th century.Paper work -- Great Britain -- Specimens -- Early works to 1800.Tomkins, J. F. -- Publisher.
Etchings -- 1790.
Etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1790.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.