Pvrchas his Pilgrimage. Or Relations of the world and the religions obserued in all ages and places discouered, from the Creation vnto this present. : Contayning a theologicall and geographicall historie of Asia, Africa, and America, with the ilands adiacent. Declaring the ancient religions before the Flovd, the heathenish, Iewish, and Saracenicall in all ages since ... / By Samuel Purchas, ...
- Additional Title(s):
Purchas his Pilgrimage
- The fourth edition, much enlarged with additions, and illustrated with mappes through the whole worke; / and three whole treatises annexed, one of Russia and other northeasterne regions by Sr. Ierome Horsey ; the second of the Gulfe of Bengala by Master William Methold ; the third of the Saracenicall Empire, translated out of Arabike by T. Erpenius.
- London, : Printed by William Stansby for Henrie Fetherstone, and are to be sold at his shop ..., 1626.
- Physical Description:
- , 242, 241-636, 635-1047,  p. (the first four pages blank),  double leaf of plates : ill., maps ; 35 cm. (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG159 .P982 1626+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- STC (2nd ed.), 20508.5. This is often regarded as v.  of that work.
For full collation see Church. Cat. of books relating to ... America, under 401A ("Vol. 5. Second issue")
"The catalogue of the authors": p. [35-42] (1st group)
The following works have special t.p.s although pagination is continuous with the main text: Two relations, : one of the northeasterne parts, extracted out of Sir Ierome Horsey knight, his many yeeres obseruations and experience in his frequent and honourable employments to and from the Muscouite emperours and the adioyning princes. The other, of the southeasterne parts, viz. Golchonda, and other adiacent kingdomes within the Bay of Bengala: / written by Mr. William Methold. London, : Printed by William Stansby for Henry Fetherstone, and are to bee sold at his shop ..., 1626. (p. -1007); The Saracenical historie, : contayning the acts of the Muslims from Muhammed to the reigne of Atabaceus ... / Written in Arabike by George Elmacin, sonne of Abuliaser Elamid, ... ; And translated into Latine by Thomas Erpenius; ... ; Englished, abridged, and continued to the end of the Chalifa's, by Samuel Purchas. London, : Printed by William Stansby for Henry Fetherstone, and are to be sold at his shop ... , 1626. (p. -1047).
Sir Jerome Horsey's "Relacion" has caption title: Extracts out of Sir Ierome Horseys Obseruations in seuenteene yeeres travels and experience in Russia, and other countries adioyning; with running title: Sir Ierome Horseys Obseruations in his trauels into Russia, &c.
William Methold's contribution has caption title: Relations of the kingdome of Golchonda, and other neighbouring nations within the Gulfe of Bengala ...; with running title: Indian obseruations / by W. Methold.
The statement of responsibility appears after the edition statement.
Second issue, with added dedication to King Charles II (p. - of1st group) Cf. Church, E.D. Discovery, 401A.
Signatures: [par.]⁸ [2par.]⁶ A⁸ B-4P⁶ 4Q⁸ 4R-4S⁶ 4T⁸ 4V-4Y⁴ 4Z⁶.
Maps by Jodocus Hondius and others.
Folger. Printed books, v. 21, p. 166.
Church, E.D. Discovery, 401A.
Lowndes, v. 3, p. 2011.
Bound uniformly with the author's 4-vol. compilation: Haklvytvs posthumus, or, Pvrchas his Pilgrimes. Imprinted at London : For Henry Fetherstone ..., 1625.
- Subject Terms:
- America -- Discovery and exploration.Fetherstone, Henrie -- Publisher.Geography.India -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Islamic Empire -- History.Religions.Russia -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Stansby, William -- Printer.Voyages and travels.
YCBA Collections Search
Purchas, Samuel, 1577?-1626, Pvrchas his Pilgrimage. Or Relations of the world and the religions obserued in all ages and places discouered, from the Creation vnto this present. , 1626
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.