Orme's graphic history of the life, exploits, and death of Horatio Nelson : Viscount and Baron Nelson of the Nile, and of Burnham-Thorpe and the county of Norfolk : Baron Nelson of the Nile and of Hilborough in the said county : Knight of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath : Vice-Admiral of the White Squadron of the Fleet : also, Duke of Bronte in Sicily : Knight Grand Cross of the Sicilian Order of St. Ferdinand and of merit : member of the Ottoman Order of the Crescent : and Knight Grand Commander of the order of St. Joachim : containing fifteen engravings, and intended as an accompaniment to the three celebrated whole-sheet plates of His Lordship's splendid victories, viz. the battles of St. Vincent's, the Nile, and Trafalgar, which are explained by references and keys / the memoirs by Francis William Blagdon.
- Additional Title(s):
Graphic history of the life, exploits, and death of Horatio Nelson
Orme's Graphic history of the life, exploits & death of Lord Viscount Nelson
Graphic history of the life, exploits & death of Lord Viscount Nelson
- London : Printed for, published and sold by Edward Orme, 59, Bond-Street, the corner of Brook Street; and by Longman, Hurst, Rees, and Orme, Paternoster-Row. J. G. Barnard, Printer, 57, Snow-Hill, 
[London] : J.G. Barnard, 51, Snow-Hill, 1806.
- Physical Description:
- , 66, viii,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 37 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA87.1.N4 B533 1806+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Cover title, on publisher's printed label: "Orme's Graphic history of the life, exploits & death of Lord Viscount Nelson."
Engravings by James Godby, William Pickett, John Swaine, J. Clark, H. Merke, J. R. Hamble; after J. Clark, W.M. Craig, J.M.W. Turner, William Orme. Some printed by J. Nichols, Earl's court, Newport-street, Soho.
Abbey suggests that a variant issue (Life 327), which lacks date of publication on the title page, was also issued in 1806.
Abbey, J.R. Life 328
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.), 351
Publisher's advertisement: 1 page at end. Printed by J.G. Barnard.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Contains additional leaves: "Lines, by H. Tresham, Esq, R.A." (one leaf, verso blank, inserted after plate 12); "Proclamation of Lord Nelson" (one leaf, verso blank, inserted after page 66). Bound in publisher's original black boards, with engraved title label on front cover.
- Subject Terms:
- Admirals -- Great Britain -- Biography.Great Britain -- History -- 1789-1820.Great Britain -- History, Naval.Great Britain. Royal Navy -- History -- Napoleonic Wars, 1800-1814.Great Britain. Royal Navy -- Sea life.Napoleonic Wars, 1800-1815.Nelson, Horatio Nelson, Viscount, 1758-1805.
- Aquatints -- 1806.
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1806.
Stipple engravings -- 1806.
YCBA Collections Search
Blagdon, Francis William, 1778-1819, Orme's graphic history of the life, exploits, and death of Horatio Nelson , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.