IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Edges of empire , 2005
Edges of empire : orientalism and visual culture / edited by Jocelyn Hackforth-Jones and Mary Roberts.
- Malden, MA ; Blackwell Pub., 2005.
Oxford : Blackwell Pub., 2005.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 230 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryN7429 .E34 2005 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email email@example.com]
- Full Orbis Record:
- Related Content:
- Table of contents
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -221) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, European -- 19th century.Art, Middle Eastern -- European influences.Art, North African -- European influences.Intercultural communication in art.Orientalism in art.
- Introduction : visualising culture across the edges of empires / Mary Roberts and Jocelyn Hackforth-Jones
- Commemorating the empire : from Algiers to Damascus / Zeynep Çelik
- Out of the earth : Egypt's statue of liberty / Darcy Grimaldo Grigsby
- Cultural crossings : sartorial adventures, satiric narratives, and the question of indigenous agency in nineteenth-century Europe and the Near East / Mary Roberts
- "Oriental" femininity as cultural commodity : authorship, authority, and authenticity / Reina Lewis
- The sweet waters of Asia : representing difference/differencing representation in nineteenth-century Istanbul / Frederick N. Bohrer
- The work of translation : Turkish modernism and the "generation of 1914" / Alistair Wright
- Stolen or shared : ancient Egypt at the Petrie Museum / Sally McDonald
- Andalusia in the time of the Moors : regret and colonial presence in Paris, 1900 / Roger Benjamin.