Edges of empire , 2005
Edges of empire : orientalism and visual culture / edited by Jocelyn Hackforth-Jones and Mary Roberts.
- Malden, MA ; Blackwell Pub., 2005.
Oxford : Blackwell Pub., 2005.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 230 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Reference LibraryN7429 .E34 2005 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- Related Content:
- Table of contents
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -221) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, European -- 19th century.Art, Middle Eastern -- European influences.Art, North African -- European influences.Intercultural communication in art.Orientalism in art.
- Introduction : visualising culture across the edges of empires / Mary Roberts and Jocelyn Hackforth-Jones
- Commemorating the empire : from Algiers to Damascus / Zeynep Çelik
- Out of the earth : Egypt's statue of liberty / Darcy Grimaldo Grigsby
- Cultural crossings : sartorial adventures, satiric narratives, and the question of indigenous agency in nineteenth-century Europe and the Near East / Mary Roberts
- "Oriental" femininity as cultural commodity : authorship, authority, and authenticity / Reina Lewis
- The sweet waters of Asia : representing difference/differencing representation in nineteenth-century Istanbul / Frederick N. Bohrer
- The work of translation : Turkish modernism and the "generation of 1914" / Alistair Wright
- Stolen or shared : ancient Egypt at the Petrie Museum / Sally McDonald
- Andalusia in the time of the Moors : regret and colonial presence in Paris, 1900 / Roger Benjamin.