Imagining the penitentiary : fiction and the architecture of mind in eighteenth-century England / John Bender.
- Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 1987.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 337 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Reference LibraryPR858 P7 B4 1987 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LWL 76 987 B43: LWL contributed a photograph of Hogarth's The Begger's Opera (1728).
Bibliography: p. 253-313.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and literature -- England -- History -- 18th century.Art, English.Crime and criminals in literature.English fiction -- 18th century -- History and criticism.Hogarth, William, 1697-1764.Law in literature.Literature and society -- England -- History -- 18th century.Prisons -- England -- History -- 18th century.Prisons in literature.
YCBA Collections Search
Bender, John B, Imagining the penitentiary , 1987