History of the art of antiquity / Johann Joachim Winckelmann ; introduction by Alex Potts ; translation by Harry Francis Mallgrave.
- Additional Title(s):
Geschichte der Kunst des Altertums. English
- Los Angeles, Calif. : Getty Research Institute, 2006.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 431 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm.
- Reference LibraryN5330 .W7413 2006 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Non-Yale users must make an appointment to use the Reference Library. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Related Content:
- Table of contents
- Original text published: Dresden : in der Waltherischen Hof-Buchhandlung, 1764.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
"Translation of a foundational text for the disciplines of art history and archaeology. Offers a systematic history of art in ancient Egypt, Persia, Etruria, Rome, and, above all, Greece that synthesizes the visual and written evidence then available"--Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, Ancient.Art, Ancient.Art, Greek.Art, Greek.
- History of the art of antiquity
- Legends for the engravings
- I: Investigation of art with regard to its essence
- 1. Origin of art and reasons for its diversity among peoples
- 2. Art of the Egyptians, Phoenicians, and Persians
- 3. Art of the Etruscans and their neighbors
- 4. Art of the Greeks
- 5. Art of the Romans
- II: History of the art of antiquity with regard to the external circumstances of the time among the Greeks.