History of the art of antiquity / Johann Joachim Winckelmann ; introduction by Alex Potts ; translation by Harry Francis Mallgrave.
- Additional Title(s):
Geschichte der Kunst des Altertums. English
- Los Angeles, Calif. : Getty Research Institute, 2006.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 431 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm.
- Reference LibraryN5330 .W7413 2006 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: Please contact the Reference Library to schedule an appointment [Email email@example.com]
- Related Content:
- Table of contents
- Original text published: Dresden : in der Waltherischen Hof-Buchhandlung, 1764.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
"Translation of a foundational text for the disciplines of art history and archaeology. Offers a systematic history of art in ancient Egypt, Persia, Etruria, Rome, and, above all, Greece that synthesizes the visual and written evidence then available"--Provided by publisher.
- Subject Terms:
- Art, Ancient.Art, Ancient.Art, Greek.Art, Greek.
- History of the art of antiquity
- Legends for the engravings
- I: Investigation of art with regard to its essence
- 1. Origin of art and reasons for its diversity among peoples
- 2. Art of the Egyptians, Phoenicians, and Persians
- 3. Art of the Etruscans and their neighbors
- 4. Art of the Greeks
- 5. Art of the Romans
- II: History of the art of antiquity with regard to the external circumstances of the time among the Greeks.