Retford, Kate, 1974-, The art of domestic life , 2006
The art of domestic life : family portraiture in eighteenth-century England / Kate Retford.
- New Haven ; London : Published for the Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art by Yale University Press, 2006.
- Physical Description:
- ix, 294 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 27 cm.
- Reference LibraryND1313.4 .R48 2006 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Related Content:
- Table of contents
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 235-282) and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and society -- England -- History -- 18th century.Family -- England -- History -- 18th century.Family in art.Portrait painting, English -- 18th century.
- 'A sort of sex in souls' : marriage and the pendant portrait
- 'Delicious harmony' : marriage and the double portrait
- 'A title of so much tenderness' : the art of motherhood
- 'Think not the nursery's care beneath your notice' : the art of fatherhood
- Family history and the politics of dynasty
- The battle of the pictures.