The history and antiquities of the collegiate and cathedral church of St. Patrick, near Dublin : from its foundation in 1190, to the year 1819 : comprising a topographical account of the lands and parishes appropriated to the community of the cathedral, and to its members : and biographical memoirs of its deans / collected, chiefly, from sources of original record, by William Monck Mason.
- Dublin : Printed for the author, by W. Folds, Strand-Street, 1820.
- Physical Description:
- , 478, xcii p.,  leaves of plates : ill., plates, port. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA995.D9 M37 1820+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Engravings by William Radclyffe, Richard Roffe, Samuel Lacey, Barak Longmate, Edward Scriven, and William Findlay; after P. Byrne, Copley Fielding, William Grattan, and Francis Bindon.
First published in 1819. Intended as the first part of a larger work to be titled: Hibernia antiqua et hodierna: being a topographical account of Ireland, and a history of all the establishments in that kingdom, ecclesiastical, civil, and monastick, drawn chiefly from sources of original record. Cf. DNB
Life of Dean Swift: p. 225-444.
Includes bibliographical references.
BAC: British Art Center copy includes three of the original drawings that were engraved in the present work, all executed in sepia wash over graphite. These comprise:  St. Patrick's Cathedral (frontispiece)--unsigned (the corresponding engraving is signed "Drawn by F. Byrne");  Cathedral Church of St. Patrick, Dublin, view from the east (opposite p. )--signed: Mackenzie del. from sk. by Pat. Byrne;  Monument for Richard, First Earl of Cork &c., (appendices p. lii)--signed: W. Grattan Junr.
- Subject Terms:
- Deans, Cathedral and collegiate -- Ireland -- Dublin -- Biography.Dublin (Ireland) -- Church history.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1820.Folds, W. -- Printer.St. Patrick's Cathedral (Dublin, Ireland) -- History.Swift, Jonathan, 1667-1745.
YCBA Collections Search
Mason, William Monck, 1775-1859, The history and antiquities of the collegiate and cathedral church of St. Patrick, near Dublin , 1820
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.