Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797, The works of Horatio Walpole, Earl of Orford .., 1798
The works of Horatio Walpole, Earl of Orford ...
- Additional Title(s):
- London : G.G. and J. Robinson ... and J. Edwards ..., 1798.
- Physical Description:
- 5 v. : ill., plans, ports. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3757 W2 1798+ Copy 1 OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3757 W2 1798+ Copy 2 OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR3757 W2 1798+ Copy 3 OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- British Art Center has 3 copies. Copy 2 has the bookplate of James Frothingham Hunnewell.
Plates engraved by T. Evans, Anthony Walker, Charles Grignion, Thomas Morris, [Inigo?] Barlow, George Vertue, Richard Bernard Godfrey, James Newton, Alexander Bannerman, Thomas Chambars, J. Miller [i.e. Johann Sebastian Müller], Charles Bretherton, James Bretherton, William Hibbart, John Vanderbank, and James Heath; after Thomas Lawrence, Isaac Oliver, Edward Edwards, George Vertue, Thomas Ripley, William Marlow, William Pars, James Essex, John Mabuse, Anthonie van Dyck, Henry Lilly, John Dobson, Thomas Chambars, Frans Wouters, Alexander Bannerman, John Hayls, Godfrey Kneller, Mary Beale, Nicolas de Largillière, Hissings, Adrien Carpentiers, Jonathan Richardson, and John Giles Eccardt.
Edited by Mary Berry.--cf. Dict. nat. biog.
The Anecdotes of painting and Catalogue of engravers were compiled from manuscripts of George Vertue.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- England -- History.Edwards, J. -- Publisher.Engravers -- Great Britain.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1798.Etching -- Specimens -- 1798.Hunnewell, James Frothingham, 1832-1910 -- Bookplate.Painting -- England -- History.Robinson, G. G. and J. -- Publisher.Stipple engraving -- Specimens -- 1798.
- v. 1. Fugitive pieces. The mysterious mother: a tragedy. Catalogue of the royal and noble authors of England
- v. 2. The castle of Otranto. An account of the giants lately discovered. Historic doubts on the life and reign of Richard III, with supplement, observations, etc. Ædes walpolianæ; or, A description of the pictures at Houghton hall. Sermon on painting. Nature will prevail: a moral entertainment. Thoughts on tragedy. Thoughts on comedy. Detection of a late forgery, called Testament politique du chevalier Robert Walpoole. Life of Rev. Thomas Baker. Account of my conduct relative to the places I hold under government. Letters to and from ministers. Description of Strawberry hill. On modern gardening. On the late dismission of a general officer
- v. 3. Anecdotes of painting [and the other fine arts]
- v. 4. Catalogue of engravers in England. Life of George Vertue, with list of works. Appendix to anecdotes of painting. Chatterton papers. Narrative of the quarrel of Mr. David Hume and J. J. Rousseau, as far as Mr. Horace Walpole was concerned in it. Letters between D. Hume and H. Walpole, relative to Rousseau. Reminiscences, written in 1788. Hieroglyphic tales. Parody on Chesterfield's letters. Criticism on Dr. Johnson's writings. Strange occurrences: a continuation of Baker's chronicle. Detached thoughts. Miscellaneous verses. Prologues and epilogues. Epigrams. Index to catalogue of engravers
- v. 5. Letters.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.