Biographia britannica, or, The lives of the most eminent persons who have flourished in Great Britain and Ireland, from the earliest ages, to the present times : collected from the best authorities, printed and manuscript, and digested in the manner of Mr. Bayle's Historical and critical dictionary.
- The second edition, with corrections, enlargements, and the addition of new lives / by Andrew Kippis ... ; with the assistance of other gentlemen.
- London : Printed by W. and A. Strahan, for C. Bathurst, W. Strahan, J. Rivington and Sons [and 14 others], 1778-1793.
- Physical Description:
- 5 v. ; 41 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A D 84Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Vols. 2-5, "with the assistance of the Rev. Joseph Towers, LL.D. and other gentlemen."
Vol. 3 has imprint: Printed by J. Rivington, jun. for C. Bathurst ... ; v. 4: Printed by Rivington and Marshall, for J. Rivington and Sons ... ; v.5: Printed by J. Nichols, for T. Longman ...
"A first part of the sixth volume ('Featley' to 'Foster') was printed in 1795 ... Dr. George Gregory wrote a preface, intending to come forward as continuator of the work. Delays in its publication followed, and nearly the whole impression was consumed in the fire on Nichol's premises in ... 1808, only three copies having been preserved"--Dict. Nat. Biog.
- Subject Terms:
- Bathurst, C. -- Publisher.Chron. -- 1778-1793.Great Britain -- Biography -- Dictionaries.Longman, T. -- Publisher.Nichols, J. -- Printer.Rivington and Marshall -- Printer.Rivington, J. and Sons -- Publisher.Rivington, J., Jr. -- Printer.Strahan, W. -- Publisher.Strahan, W. and A. -- Printer.
- v.1. A - Bathurst, Ralph
- v.2. Bathurst, Allen - Bull
- v.3. Bulleyn - Coke
- v. 4. Cole - Davies
- v.5. Davis - Fastolff