Lewis, John, 1675-1747, The history and antiquities as well ecclesiastical as civil, of the Isle of Tenet, in Kent , 1736
The history and antiquities as well ecclesiastical as civil, of the Isle of Tenet, in Kent / by John Lewis ...
- The second edition, with additions.
- London : Printed for the author, and for Joseph Ames and Peter Thompson, and sold by J. Osborn ..., 1736.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 204, , 124 p.,  leaves of plates (some folded) : ill., ports., plans, geneal. tables ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670 T3 L4 1736+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670 T3 L4 1736+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- SML Byk 0225: 2nd paging runs: 112, 105-124 p. Has only 25 pl. See Lowndes for variations in paging and insertion of plates.
Plates engraved by J. Mynde; after Joseph Ames and John Lewis.
BAC: British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 has considerable ms. annotations throughout the text & has 2 pamphlets on Ramsgate bound in at end; the mezzotint portrait is wanting. It has bookplate of Norris of Hackney and the autograph of R. Marsham.
BAC: Copy 2 is extra-illustrated with 52 watercolors (by an unknown amateur artist) and 6 prints. It has the stamp of Henry Reveley and the autograph of Hugh Reveley.
T.p. in red and black; vignettes; head- and tail-pieces; initials.
Genealogical table (plate 12) is of Crispe family.
"A collection of paper records &c. referred to in the foregoing history and antiquities of Tenet ...": 124 p. at end.
- Subject Terms:
- Ames, Joseph -- Publisher.Crisp family.Genealogy -- Crisp.Isle of Thanet (England)Lewis, John -- Publisher.Marsham, R. -- Autograph.Norris, Henry Handley, 1771-1850 -- Bookplate.Osborn, J. -- Publisher.Reveley, Henry, 1737-1798 -- Stamp.Reveley, Hugh, 1772-1854? -- Autograph.Thompson, Peter -- Publisher.
- Mezzotints -- 1736.
Engravings -- 1736.
Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.