The dictes and sayings of the philosophers : a facsimile reproduction of the first book printed in England by William Caxton, in 1477.
- Additional Title(s):
Mokhtār ol-hikam wa-mahasin Abkalim. English.
- London : E. Stock ; 1877.
New York : J.W. Bouton, 1877.
- Physical Description:
- xii,  p. : facsims. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsZ241 M923 1877+ OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Preface signed: William Blades.
Rivers' translation of Tignonville's French version of the Dicta philosophorum, a collection of sayings of wise men, originally compiled in Arabic. Revised and edited, with some additional matter, by William Caxton.
Grolier Club. Fifty-five books printed before 1525 (1968), 3
Selected exhibitions: "Fifty-five Books Printed before 1525: Representing the Works of England's First Printers, an Exhibition from the Collection of Paul Mellon" (Grolier Club, 17 January-3 March 1968).
- Subject Terms:
- Bouton, J. W. -- Publisher.Hunnewell, James Frothingham, 1832-1910 -- Bookplate.Incunabula -- Facsimiles.Incunabula -- Facsimiles.Philosophers, Ancient.Stock, Elliot -- Publisher.
YCBA Collections Search
Mubashshir ibn Fātik, Abū al-Wafāʼ, 11th cent, The dictes and sayings of the philosophers , 1877
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.