An abridgment of the architecture of Vitruvius : containing a system of the whole works of that author illustrated with divers copper plates, curiously engraved, with a table of explanation : to which is added in this edition the etymology and derivation of the terms used in architecture / first done in French by Monsr. Perrault, of the Academy of Paris, and now Englished, with additions.
- Additional Title(s):
De architectura. English
- London : Printed for Abel Swall and T. Child, at the Unicorn in St. Paul's Church-yard, 1692.
- Physical Description:
- , 158,  p.,  leaves of plates (one folded) : ill., plans ; 16 cm. (8vo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA2515 V57213 1692View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Frontispiece engraved by Johannes Kip. Other plates not signed.
Recto of frontispiece has a drawing of swan and figure in faded pen and ink.
Abridged translation of: De architectura. With much reorganization of text, original book and chapter being cited in margins.
Claude Perrault's abridgment was published in 1674 as: Abrégé des dix livres d'architecture de Vitruve.
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700, V-663
Fowler architectural collection of the Johns Hopkins University, 421
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Early works to 1800.Child, T. -- Publisher.Swall, Abel -- Publisher.
- Engravings -- 1692.
YCBA Collections Search
Vitruvius Pollio, An abridgment of the architecture of Vitruvius , 1692
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.