Riche and pore have like cu[m]mynge into this worlde & lyke outgoying but their liuyng in this worlde is unlike , 5 July 1493
- Riche and pore have like cu[m]mynge into this worlde & lyke outgoying but their liuyng in this worlde is unlike : what shulde confort a pore man ayenst grutchyng and what wyckednesses folowe louers of richesses ...
- Alternate Title(s):
- Dives and pauper.
- [London] : Emprentyd by ... Richarde Pynson, at the temple barre of London, 5 July 1493.
- Physical Description:
-  p. ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBV4655 D58 1493+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- British Art Center copy is the one described in the Grolier Club catalogue. It is as described there with 244 leaves, including blanks 1 and 13. An additional contemporary blank leaf has been inserted before the initial blank on which a 15th-century scholar has set up an alphabetical cross-index in Latin.
At front & back, inserted as protective endpapers, are vellum leaves from an Italian (Bologna?) ms. of the 14th c., evidently a fragment of the Corpus juris civilis of Justinian I.
Much marginal commentary in ms. throughout.
Sometimes attributed to Henry Parker (cf. DNB & CBEL) but probably not by him (cf. STC & Richardson).
A dialogue on the Ten commandments, with an introductory section entitled "Of holy pouertie."
Colophon reads: "Here endith a compendious treetise dyalogue of Diues & paup ..."
Grolier Club. Fifty-five books printed before 1525 (1968), 43
STC (2nd ed.) 19212
Richardson, H.G. "Dives and pauper." Library, v. 15, no. 1 (June 1934), p. 31-37
Selected exhibitions: "Fifty-five Books Printed before 1525: Representing the Works of England's First Printers, an Exhibition from the Collection of Paul Mellon" (Grolier Club, 17 January-3 March 1968).
- Subject Terms:
- Barrett, Thomas, 1744-1803 -- Bookplate.Conduct of life -- Early works to 1800.Dialogues, English.Higgs, William Simonds -- Bookplate.Incunabula in Yale Library.Pynson, Richard -- Printer.Rabinowitz, Hannah D. -- Bookplate.Ten commandments.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.