Higden, Ranulf, -1364, Policronicon, ended the thyrtenth daye of Apryll the tenth yere of the regne of kyng Harry the seuenth. And of the incarnacyon of our lord: MCCCC lxxxxv [13 April 1495]
- Alternate Title(s):
- Grete thankynges laude and honour we merytoryously ben bounde to yelde and offre vnto wryters of hystoryes
Grete thankynges laude and honour we merytoryously ben bounde to yelde and offre unto wryters of hystoryes
- Emprynted at Westmestre [London, England] : By Wynkyn Theworde, ended the thyrtenth daye of Apryll the tenth yere of the regne of kyng Harry the seuenth. And of the incarnacyon of our lord: MCCCC lxxxxv [13 April 1495]
- Physical Description:
- , CCCxxxvi, CCCxxxvi-CCCxlvi,  leaves : illustrations, music ; 28 cm (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD17 H6 1495+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIN Zi 9696: 25 cm. Imperfect: leaves 2a1-8, 2b1, 2h6 (blank), k8, S1-2, and X1,3-8 wanting; some leaves mutilated and repaired, with some loss of text. Manuscript pencil annotations on front flyleaf with information about this copy. Bookseller's label: B. Westermann Co., New York.
BEIN Osborn fpa34: 26 cm. Imperfect: leaves 2a1-3, 2b2 wanting and supplied in facsimile; leaves 2h6 (blank), f2, g4-5, h4-5, m1, p4-5, v4-5, R6, X1-2,7-8 wanting; some leaves mutilated and repaired, with some loss of text. Few manuscript annotations throughout, with significant manuscript annotations in English secretary hand on rear page tipped in. From the collection of Toshiyuki Takamiya. Accompanied by: bookseller's description (1 leaf).
Higden's work, divided into 7 books and extending to the year 1348, was originally written in Latin. The English translation was made by John Trevisa, who continued it to 1357. The 8th book, 1358-1460, was added by Caxton, who in 1482 printed the work from Trevisa's translation, revising the antiquated text. cf. Blades, Life and typography of William Caxton, v. 2, p. 125.
This edition is a reprint of Caxton's edition; the text is unaltered and unextended. De Worde's only additions were a better Table and the insertion of the woodcut music (spaces left blank in Caxton's edition).
Leaf a1r, last word is "englisshe". Variant: earlier (trial?) setting, last word "englysshe".
Opening of text, leaf 2a2r: Grete thankynges laude and honour we merytoryously ben bounde to yelde and offre vnto wryters of hystoryes ...
Imprint from colophon.
First specimen of musical notes printed in English: n5r (leaf ci)
Signatures: 2a⁸ 2b-2h⁶; a-y⁸ z⁶; A-S⁸ V-X⁸ (leaf 2h6 blank).
Book 5 begins new register; foliation is continuous.
Illustrated title page.
Gesamtkatalog der Wiegendrucke, 12469
Catalogue of books printed in the XVth century now in the British Museum, v. XI, page 195
Goff, F.R. Incunabula in American libraries, H-268
Incunabula short title catalogue, ih00268000
Proctor, R. Index to the early printed books in the British Museum, 9696
Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640, 13439
Copinger, W.A. Supplement to Hain’s Repertorium bibliographicum, 8660
Duff, E.G. Fifteenth century English books, 173
Grolier Club. Fifty-five books printed before 1525 (1968), 18
English short title catalogue, S106488
- Subject Terms:
- Cunliffe, Henry -- Bookplate.Geography -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Description and travel.Incunabula in Yale Library.Music printing -- Specimens.Takamiya, Toshiyuki -- Ownership.Worde, Wynkyn de, d. 1534? -- Printer.World history -- Early works to 1800.
- Woodcuts -- 1495.
Booksellers' labels (Provenance)
Annotations (Provenance) -- 16th century.
Annotations (Provenance) -- 19th century.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.