Baker, James, topographer, The imperial guide , 1802
- The imperial guide : with picturesque plans of the great post roads, containing miniatures likenesses, engraved from real sketches of the cities, towns, villages, seas, islands, mountains, public edifices, and private buildings ... / by J. Baker.
- London : Printed by C. Whittingham ..., and sold by H.D. Symonds ..., White ..., Otridge ..., Richardson ..., [and 4 others], 1802.
- Physical Description:
- iv, 66,  p. : ill. maps ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA625 B3 1802Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Plates engraved by I. [i.e. J.H.] Wright, F. Ross, John Bluck, and Francis Chesham; after James Baker, H. James, Julius Caesar Ibbetson, Samuel Stringer, John Bluck, and William Anderson.
British Art Center copy imperfect: author's name has been erased from t.p.
Maps are strip road maps, illustrated with vignettes of country houses and towns. Route is represented by a single line. cf. Smith, David. Victorian maps of the British Isles, p. 55, 87-88.
Added engraved t.p. with title that reads: Intirely new picturesque views and plans of the roads.
Page 1-27 also separately published with title: Multum in parvo: fashionable tours from London. London, 1802.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving, Colored -- Specimens -- 1802.Great Britain -- Description and travel.Great Britain -- Road maps.Otridge -- Publisher.Richardson -- Publisher.Symonds, H.D. -- Publisher.White, -- Publisher.Whittingham, C. -- Printer.
- Aquatints -- 1802.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.