Jacobus, de Voragine, approximately 1229-1298, [The golden legend], 8 Jan. 1498
[The golden legend].
- Additional Title(s):
Legenda aurea. English
- Westmynster [London, England] : Wynkyn de Worde, 8 Jan. 1498.
- Physical Description:
- 448 leaves : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBX4654 .J32 1498+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- British Art Center copy is the one described in the Grolier Club catalog & is imperfect: 443 of 448 leaves. Leaves Aa1, [Hh]1, K3-6, C4, N4-8, O1-2, dd6 (with the colophon) are wanting. Signature f is missigned i, iii, iv, v.
This copy has life of St. Thomas à Becket on folios Clxxiii-Clxxiiii (x2-x3) unmutilated.
Occasional marginal notes in 16th c. hand; see esp. the comments on the miracles attributed to Becket (fols. Clxxiii-Clxxiiii).
Bound in 18th-century vellum-covered boards, backed with calf; edges trimmed and stained red.
Translated by William Caxton.
Includes feasts of the church, stories from the Bible, & legends of the saints.
STC (2nd ed.) 24876
Grolier Club. Fifty-five books printed before 1525 (1968), 23
Selected exhibitions: "Fifty-five Books Printed before 1525: Representing the Works of England's First Printers, an Exhibition from the Collection of Paul Mellon" (Grolier Club, 17 January-3 March 1968).
- Subject Terms:
- Baptist College, Bristol. Library -- Bookplate.Bible stories, English.Church year.Gifford, Andrew, 1700-1784 -- Bookplate.Incunabula in Yale Library.Saints.Thomas, à Becket, Saint, 1118?-1170.Worde, Wynkyn de, d. 1534? -- Printer.
- Woodcuts -- 1498.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.