Here begynneth the legende named in Latyn Legenda aurea, that is to saye in Englysshe The golden legende : for lyke as passeth golde in valewe all other metallys so this legende excelleth all other bookes.
- Additional Title(s):
Legenda aurea. English (Middle English)
- [Westminster] : [Wynkyn de Worde], [8 January 1498/99?]
- Physical Description:
- 2 parts in 1 volume (, lij, , [MC]CCClxxxxviii [i.e. CCC.lxxxix],  leaves) : illustrations (woodcuts) 29cm (folio)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBX4654 .J32 1498+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- BAC BX4654 .J32 1498+: Imperfect: 443 of 448 leaves. Leaves Aa1, [Hh]1, K3-6, C4, N4-8, O1-2, dd6 (with the colophon) wanting. With occasional marginal notes in sixteenth-century hand; see especially the comments on the miracles attributed to Becket (fols. Clxxiii-Clxxiiii). Bound in18th-century vellum-covered boards, backed with calf; edges trimmed and stained red. Bookplates: Andrew Gifford; Baptist College Library, Bristol.
BEIN Zi +9708: Imperfect: leaf 2G3 only, part of the history of Judith. Numbered "Folio.1."
BEIN Zi +9708: Provenance: Gift of Mrs. Henry Fletcher, June 1954.
Title from incipit, part 2.
On the date, see Catalogue of books printed in the XVth century now in the British Museum.
Colophon: Thus endeth the legende named in latyn legenda aurea ... whyche werke I dyde accomplysshe and fynysshe att westmynster the. viii. daye of Ianeuer The yere of oure lorde Thousande. CCCC.lxxxxviii. ... By me wynkyn de worde.
Includes feasts of the church, stories from the Bible, & legends of the saints.
Printed on paper made at Hereford by John Tate.
Part 2: leaves 70, 74 and 145 misnumbered 71, 72 and 146.
Signatures: 2A-2F⁸ 2G⁶ [2H]⁴ a-h⁸ i¹⁰ k-z⁸ A-Y⁸ 2a-2b⁸ 2c-2d⁶.
Without catchwords. With headlines. Double columns of 47 lines. Black letter.
Woodcut illustration on title page.
Catalogue of books printed in the XVth century now in the British Museum, XI, page 220
Goff, F.R. Incunabula in American libraries, J-151
Incunabula short title catalogue, ij00151000
Copinger, W.A. Supplement to Hain's Repertorium bibliographicum, 6475
Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.), 24876
Grolier Club. Fifty-five books printed before 1525 (1968), 23
Duff, E.G. Fifteenth century English books, 411
Selected exhibitions: "Fifty-five Books Printed before 1525: Representing the Works of England's First Printers, an Exhibition from the Collection of Paul Mellon" (Grolier Club, 17 January-3 March 1968).
- Subject Terms:
- Baptist College, Bristol. Library -- Bookplate.Christian hagiography -- Early works to 1800.Christian saints -- Legends -- Early works to 1800.Fletcher, Henry, Mrs. -- Ownership.Gifford, Andrew, 1700-1784 -- Bookplate.Incunabula in Yale Library.Thomas, à Becket, Saint, 1118?-1170.
- Annotations (Provenance)
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Jacobus, de Voragine, approximately 1229-1298, Here begynneth the legende named in Latyn Legenda aurea, that is to saye in Englysshe The golden legende , [8 January 1498/99?]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.