[Here begynneth the legende named in latyn Legenda aurea, that is to saye in Englysse the golden legende].
- Additional Title(s):
Legenda aurea. English.
- [London] : Julyan Notary ..., 16 Feb. 1503 [i.e. 1504].
- Physical Description:
- 296 leaves : ill. ; 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBX4654 J32 1504+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- British Art Center copy is the one described in the Grolier Club catalog & is imperfect: 268 of 296 leaves. Lacking are a1-8, b1, 3, 6, e1, I7-8, O7, I1, 7-8, K6, L2-10. Half of b7 is torn away. Lacking leaf O7 (fol. cxi) which contained the 'Translacyon of Saynt Thomas of caunterbury Archebysshop'.; however, leaves E8-F3 (fols. xl (verso)-xliii (recto)), with the account of Thomas à Becket's life are present & only slightly defaced with light ink overscorings which do not obliterate the text.
Rebound in 1906 by Douglas Cockerell, preserving original 16th c. sides.
Translated by William Caxton.
Fifth ed. & the only one from this press.
Includes feasts of the church, stories from the Bible, & legends of the saints.
Title from leaf 36 (recto).
Illustrated with over 70 woodcuts, some of which were made for Notary especially for this edition.
STC (2nd ed.) 24877
Grolier Club. Fifty-five books printed before 1525 (1968) 51
Hodnett p. 102
- Subject Terms:
- Bible stories, English.Burdett, Lawrence -- Autograph.Church year.Cockerell, Douglas -- Bookbinder.Crosse, Robert, 1605-1683 -- Autograph.Maskell, William, 1814-1890 -- Provenance.Notary, Julian -- Printer.Perrins, Charles William Dyson, 1864-1958 -- Bookplate.Saints.Thomas, à Becket, Saint, 1118?-1170.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1503-1504.
YCBA Collections Search
Jacobus, de Voragine, approximately 1229-1298, [Here begynneth the legende named in latyn Legenda aurea, that is to saye in Englysse the golden legende], 16 Feb. 1503 [i.e. 1504]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.