Monastic remains and ancient castles in England and Wales / drawn on the spot by James Moore ... ; finished and etched by J. Schnebbelie ... ; aquatinted by G.J.[!] Parkyns ...
- London : Printed by George Stafford ..., and sold by Mr. Schnebbelie ..., Messrs. Robinsons ..., Egertons ..., J. Robson ..., and S. Hooper, 1791.
- Physical Description:
- 1 pt. (, 12 p.,  leaves of plates) : ill. ; 30 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA660 P37 1791+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy.
Bound in original pink wrappers; stitched.
On t.p.: Vol. 1.
No more published.
Apparently a fragment preceding by one year the accepted first edition. In 1792 an edition with 72 uncolored aquatints was published under same title as this part, probably the first of a contemplated quarto edition with the plates colored. The project was most likely abandoned because of high cost. cf. Abbey.
Second ed. published in 1816 with 99 uncolored aquatint views with title: Monastic and baronial remains.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery, 1
- Subject Terms:
- Abbeys -- Great Britain.Castles -- Great Britain.Egertons -- Publisher.Great Britain -- Description and travel -- Early works to 1800.Great Britain -- Description and travel.Hooper, S. -- Publisher.Robinsons -- Publisher.Robson, J. -- Publisher.Schnebbelie, Mr. -- Publisher.Stafford, George -- Printer.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1791.
YCBA Collections Search
Moore, James, 1762-1799, Monastic remains and ancient castles in England and Wales , 1791
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.