Hier begynneth the book callid the myrrour of the worlde or thymage of the same.
- Additional Title(s):
Myrrour of the worlde or thymage of the same.
Mirrour of the worlde
Image du monde. English (Middle English)
- [Westminster, William Caxton, 1481]
- Physical Description:
-  leaves : ill. ; 30 cm. (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPQ1486 .I5 1481+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- An encyclopedia of astronomy, geography, cosmology, zoology, and other sciences.
A translation of a prose version of: Image du monde.
First illustrated book printed in England.
Title from caption title, a6r.
Leaf [a2 recto] begins: Here begynneth the table of the rubrices of this presente volume named the mirrour of the world or thymage of the same ...
Sometimes attributed to Gossuin of Metz; misattributed to Vincent of Beauvais.
Translated by William Caxton, whose name appears on a4v. The dates of translation are given on n4r as 2 January-7 March 1480.
Imprint from Needham.
Signatures: a-m⁸ n⁴ (a1 blank).
Initials and paragraph-marks supplied in red ink.
Selected exhibitions: "Paul Mellon's Legacy: A Passion for British Art" (Yale Center for British Art, 18 April-29 July, 2007).
STC (2nd ed.) 24762
Grolier Club. Fifty-five books printed before 1525 (1968), 5
Hodnett, E. English woodcuts 1480-1535, 1-11
Needham, P. Printer & the pardoner, Cx 46
Paul Mellon's legacy, p. 306
Selected exhibitions: "Fifty-five Books Printed before 1525: Representing the Works of England's First Printers, an Exhibition from the Collection of Paul Mellon" (Grolier Club, 17 January-3 March 1968).
BAC: British Art Center copy is the one described in the Grolier Club catalogue. Imperfect: lacks the initial blank leaf & the last 3 leaves (which are supplied in colotype facsimile). Leaf a2 is inlaid to size; leaf a3 is remargined at the inner margin. Bound in 18th century calf, with gilt edges and marbled endpapers. Inscribed: This book, bound by R. [i.e. Roger] Payne, was bought by John Paget, of Payne for L10 in 1792; John Paget, Newberry, 1792. Has armorial bookplate of John Moore Paget. Also previously owned by Arthur Paget and Sir Richard Paget.
- Subject Terms:
- Caxton, William, ca. 1422-1491 or 2 -- Printer.Encyclopedias and dictionaries -- Early works to 1800.Geography -- Early works to 1800.Illustration of books -- 15th century -- Great Britain.Incunabula in Yale Library.Paget, Arthur, Sir, 1777-1840 -- Provenance.Paget, John Moore, b. 1791 -- Autograph.Paget, Richard, Sir, 1869-19 -- Bookplate, 1792.Payne, Roger -- Bookbinder.
- Woodcuts -- 1481.
YCBA Collections Search
Hier begynneth the book callid the myrrour of the worlde or thymage of the same, 1481]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.