The first volume of the Chronicles of England, Scotlande, and Irelande : conteyning, the description and chronicles of England, from the first inhabiting vnto the conquest, the description and chronicles of Scotland, from the first originall of the Scottes nation, till the yeare of our Lorde, 1571, the description and chronicles of Yrelande, likewise from the firste originall of that nation, vntill the yeare 1547 / faithfully gathered and set forth, by Raphaell Holinshed.
- At London : Imprinted for Iohn Harrison, 1577.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : ill., map ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA130 .H64 1577+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Full Orbis Record:
- British Art Center copy has the folding view of the siege of Edinburgh tipped-in between p. 1864 and 1865.
Imprint date at head of titles.
[Vol. 2] has title: ... The Laste volume of the Chronicles of England, Scotlande, and Irelande, with their descriptions : conteyning, the chronicles of Englande from William Conquerour vntill this present tyme : faithfully gathered and compiled by Raphaell Holinshed. At London, Imprinted for John Harison, 1577.
The Historie of Scotlande and The Historie of Irelande have individual t.p.s and foliation. [Vol 2.] has foliation continuous with that of The Historie of England in [v. 1]
Titles within woodcut borders; text in black letter in double columns, with woodcuts.
Jointly compiled with William Harrison and Richard Stanyhurst.
For collation of this work consult Hazlitt. Collections and notes, 1867-1876.
Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.), 13568
- Subject Terms:
- Great Britain -- History -- To 1485.Great Britain -- History -- Tudors, 1485-1603.Harison, John -- Publisher.Howard, Richard -- Bookplate.Woodcut -- Specimens -- 1577.
- IIIF Manifest:
Making History - Antiquaries in Britain 1707-2007 (Yale Center for British Art, 2012-02-02 - 2012-05-27) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]