The canting academy, or, The devil's cabinet opened : wherein is shewn the mysterious and villanous practices of that wicked crew, commonly known by the names of hectors, trapanners, gilts, &c. : to which is added a compleat canting-dictionary, both of old words, and such as are now most in use : with several new catches and songs, compos'd by the choicest wits of the age : a book very useful and necessary to be read by all sorts of people.
- London : Printed by F. Leach for Mat. Drew ..., 1673.
- Physical Description:
- , 192,  p.,  leaf of plates : ill. ; 15 cm. (12mo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPE3726 H42 1673Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "To the reader" signed: R. Head.
Signatures: [A]⁴ B-I¹² K⁸
Wing (2nd ed.) H-1243
- Subject Terms:
- Cant -- Early works to 1800.Drew, Mat. -- Publisher.English language -- Slang -- Early works to 1800.Engravings -- 1673.Leach, F. -- Printer.Slang -- Early works to 1800.
YCBA Collections Search
Head, Richard, 1637?-1686?, The canting academy, or, The devil's cabinet opened , 1673
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.