A new touch-stone for gold and silver wares : directing all buyers of large plate or small works : (as silver or gold hilts, buckles, watch-cases, pins and studs in watch-cases, money boxes, tobacco boxes, bells and sockets for corals, buttons and tags for garments, chirurgeons-instruments, rings, chains, lockets, or other goldsmiths works) : how to know whether they buy or wear such as are of the lawful standard-allay ... and also discovering the principal matters of the goldsmiths and cutlers ... trades.
- The second edition, corrected and much enlarge, by W.B. of London, goldsmith : to which is likewise added ... tables of Mr. John Reynolds of the mint ... plainly shewing how to cast up and make all sorts of gold and silver true standard.
- London : Printed for J. Bellinger in Cliford-Inn lane, T. Basset at the George near Cliffords-Inn-gate in Fleetstreet, 1679.
- Physical Description:
- , 218,  p.,  leaf of plates : ill. ; 18 cm.
- Unable to reach service. Holdings currently not available
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Signatures: [pi]² A-O⁸ P⁴ [chi]1 [A]-I⁸K⁴
First edition has title: A touch-stone for gold and silver wares.
Attributed also to William Browne (?) cf. Gt. Brit. Patent office, Catalogue of the library ... l898.
Reynolds' tables ( p. at end) have special t.p.: Here followeth a brief and easie way by tables ...
"Charter of the cutlers of the city of London:" p. 171-189.
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700 (2nd ed.), B-381
- Subject Terms:
- Basset, T. -- Publisher.Bellinger, J. -- Publisher.Goldwork -- Early works to 1800.Metal-work -- Early works to 1800.Rogers, George, 1618-1697 -- Autograph.Silverwork -- Early works to 1800.
YCBA Collections Search
W. B. (William Badcock), A new touch-stone for gold and silver wares , 1679
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.