Baziliōlogia : a booke of kings : beeing the true and lively effigies of all our English kings from the conquest vntill this present : with their seuerall coats of armes, impresses and devises : and a brief chronologie of their liues and deaths : elegantly grauen in copper.
- [London] : Printed for H. Holland and are to be sold by Compton Holland over against th' exchange, 1618.
- Physical Description:
- ,  leaves : all ports. ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNE218 B39 1618+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- This expanded Baziliōlogia is the Cottrell-Dormer copy described by Hind (p. 136), and so lacks portrait of John of Gaunt. Portrait of Darnley is inserted between Elizabeth & Mary Queen of Scots.
Bound in binding that probably dates from 1618-1640.
Plates engraved by Renold Elstracke, Simon van de Passe, Francis Delaram, Robert Vaughan, William Kip, and H. Stock; at least one after Paul van Somer.
Title on t.p. reads: Bazili[omega]logia.
First ed. of this title probably had engraved t.p. + 26 portraits; other copies have up to 200 extra portraits. cf. Hind, p. 115, Levis, and STC.
Hind, A. Engraving in England in the 16th & 17th centuries, v. 2, p. 115-139.
STC (2nd ed.) 13581
Levis, H.C. Baziliōlogia
- Subject Terms:
- Dormer, Charles Cottrell, 1801-1874 -- Autograph.Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Portraits.Holland, Compton -- Publisher.Holland, H. -- Publisher.Marx, Hermann -- Bookplate.Portraits, British.
- Engravings -- 1618.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.