Speed, John, 1552?-1629, A new and accurat map of the world , 1651 [1676 printing]
- A new and accurat map of the world : drawne according to ye truest descriptions, latest discoueries & best obseruations y[e]t have beene made by english or strangers.
- Alternate Title(s):
- New and accvrat map of the world
New and accurate map of the world
- [London] : Are to be sold by Tho. Bassett ... and Ric. Chiswell ..., 1651 [1676 printing]
- Physical Description:
- 1 map : hand col. ; 2 hemipsheres each 25 cm. in diam., on sheet 45 x 57 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio C 2010 2jYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Related Content:
- View a digital version in the Beinecke Library's Digital Images Online database (Cross 11 1651)
- Maps & Atlas (printed)
- Scale [ca. 1:100,000,000]. -- (W 180°--E 180°/N 90°--S 90°).
- BEIN Cross 11 1651: Imperfect: torn along fold, with some loss of text. Mounted on cardboard. Cross collection no. 18.
Scale measured at center of hemisphere.
This map is state 4, the last state published--Cf. Shirley R.W. Mapping of the world, 317.
Relief shown pictorially.
Shows California as an island.
Appeared in Speed's A prospect of the most famous parts of the world... London...1676.
Shirley, R.W. Mapping of the world, 317
Includes astrological charts, allegorical figures representing the elements, and portraits in medallions of explorers Sir Francis Drake, Ferdinand Magellan, Oliverus van der Noort and Thomas Candish.
- Subject Terms:
- World maps -- Early works to 1800.
- California as an island.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.