Chaucer, Geoffrey, -1400, The Canterbury tales , MCMXXIX [1929-1931]
The Canterbury tales / by Geoffrey Chaucer ; with wood engravings by Eric Gill.
- Waltham Saint Lawrence, in Berkshire : Printed and published at the Golden Cockerel Press, MCMXXIX [1929-1931]
- Physical Description:
- 4 volumes : illustrations ; 33 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR1866 .S54 1929+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR1866 .S54 1929+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "This edition of the Canterbury Tales, in four columns, was printed by Robert & Moira Gibbings at the Golden Cockerel Press, Waltham Saint Lawrence, Berkshire. By permission of the Oxford University Press the text follows their edition edited by the Rev. Walter W. Skeat, M.A. The first pages of volume I were set on the 6th of June, 1928 and the last pages of volume IV printed on the 29th of January, 1931. Compositors: F. Young and A. H. Gibbs. Pressman: A.C. Cooper. 15 copies on vellum and 485 on paper have been printed."--Colophon of volume 4.
BEIN: Copy one of 15 copies on vellum.
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is no. 24 of a limited edition of 485 copies on paper. Bound in brown quarter niger with brown, green and cream printed paper covered boards. Bound by Sangorski & Sutcliffe.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is no. 196 of a limited edition of 485 copies on paper. Bound in tan quarter niger and patterned boards, by Sangorski & Sutcliffe.
- Subject Terms:
- Christian pilgrims and pilgrimages -- Poetry.Private press books -- England -- Waltham Saint Lawrence -- Specimens.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- Waltham Saint Lawrence.
Wood engravings -- 1929-1931.
- I. The prologue. The knightes tale. The milleres tale. The reves tale. The cokes tale
- II. The man of lawes tale. The shipmannes tale. The prioresses tale. Sir Thopas. The tale of Melibeus. The monkes tale. The nonne prestes tale
- III. The phisiciens tale. The pardoners tale. Wife of Baths prologue. Tale of thw wyf of Bathe. The freres tale. The somnours tale. The clerkes tale. The marchantes tale
- IV. The squieres tale. The frankeleyns tale. The seconde nonnes tale. The chanouns yemannes tale. The maunciples tale. The persones tale.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.