Mercator, Gerhard, 1512-1594, Galliae tabul[a]e geographicae , ca. 1595]
Galliae tabul[a]e geographicae / per Gerardum Mercatorem ...
- Additional Title(s):
Galliae tabulae geographicae
- Duysburgi Cliuorum edita : [s.n., ca. 1595]
- Physical Description:
- 1 atlas (2 pts. in 4 sections) : 75 maps, 1 port. ; 41 cm. (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsAtlas 64 (Folio A)Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Scales vary.
- Beinecke copy imperfect: map of "Hannonia Comitatus" (signature &) slightly mutilated.
Atlas made up of all but "Pars altera" (1st published 1595) of Mercator's 1595 Atlas. Sections 1-3 were originally issued as the 1st pt. of the Atlas in 1585; section 4 was issued as the second pt. in 1589. The printed text on rectos of maps in most cases matches that of ed. 1595 A described in Koeman, C. Atlantes Neerlandici, II, p. 296-302 except for maps with signatures q, f, and 10; text described on p. 296 of Koeman matches ed. A. except for [dagger]ij, which matches neither A no B, and [3 daggers]1, which matches ed. B. Includes 2 additional maps normally part of "Pars altera" of the 1595 ed., Rumold Mercator's map of the World (1st state 1587) and the general map of Europe (see Koeman, C. Atlantes Neerlandici, II, p. 291).
No general t.p.; title from eng. t.p. of section 1.
Title on engr. t.p. of section 2: Germaniae, tabul[a]e geographicae / per Gerardum Mercatorem, ... Duysburgi edit[a]e.
Title on engr. t.p. of section 3: Belgii inferioris geographicae tabul[a]e / per Gerardum Mercatorem ... Duysburgi edit[a]e.
Title on engr. t.p. of section 4: Italiae, Sclavoniae, et Graeciae tabul[a]e geographic[a]e / per Gerardum Mercatorem ... Duysburgi editae.
Engraved title pages and maps hand-colored.
- Subject Terms:
- Atlases -- Early works to 1800.Atlases, German.Europe -- Maps.
- Hand-colored illustrations.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.