Collections for the history of Hampshire, and the bishopric Winchester : including the isles of Wight, Jersey, Guernsey, and Sarke / by D.Y. ; with the original Domesday of the county, and an accurate English translation, preface, and introduction, containing an account of this curious record ; to which is added, a glossary explanatory of the obsolete words ; by Richard Warner.
- London : Printed for the author, and sold by Messrs. Rivington ..., 1795.
- Physical Description:
- 5 v. : ill., ports., map ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670 H2 C6 1795+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon FundView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Undetermined
- Plates engraved by Adam, Peltro William Tomkins, S. Sparrow, Thomas Bonnor, [William?] Ellis, Richard Bernard Godfrey, James Newton, and T.S. Seed; one after Sir Joshua Reynolds.
British Art Center copy is bound in 5 v. Vol. 1 is bound in 2 vols. and vols. 3 and 5 are bound together.
Richard Warner, to whom the work is attributed, disclaimed in his "Literary recollections" any knowledge of it until after its publication. In it are incorporated, besides Warner's Hampshire Domesday-book, nearly the whole of his History of the Isle of Wight, Clausentum, and Topgraphical remarks on the south western parts of Hampshire, Falle's Isle of Jersey, "a jumble from the new edition of Camden and the Agricultural survey" (in v. 1) the Agricultural survey by Arthur Young for the Board of agriculture, and miscellaneous matter relating to the Isle of Wight chiefly from Sir Richard Worsley's book (in v. 3) v. 5 is comp. from Dicey and Grose. cf. Gent. mag. 1797, 1:44-46, and Gilbert and Godwin's Bibliotheca hantoniensis.
"Only 250 copies printed, viz. 225 on small paper, and 25 large paper."
Most of the plates reprinted from Grose's Antiquities.
Plate 55 "Plan of the form of Jersey" wanting in most copies. cf. Lowndes, Bibl. man.; also Upcott, Eng. topogr., p. 280.
Paging irregular in sect. 2 of v. 1: nos. 100-157, 210-211 omitted, nos. 162-164 repeated.
- Subject Terms:
- Cadell & Davies -- Publisher.Channel Islands -- Description and travel.Channel Islands -- History.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1795.Hampshire (England) -- Description and travel.Hampshire (England) -- History.Law -- Publisher.Rivington -- Publisher.Sewel -- Publisher.Stipple engraving -- Specimens -- 1795.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1795.
- v.1, sect.1. The first part of the topographical description, alphabetically arranged
- v.1. sect.2. The last part of the topographical description, alphabetically arranged
- v.2. The original Domesday, with an accurate English translation, and Mr. Warner's introduction and glossary
- v.3. The agricultural survey, natural history, honours and biography of eminent men of this country
- v.4. The islands of Jersey / by Mr. Fall ...
- v.5. The islands of Guernsey and Sarke