La divina commedia, or The divine vision of Dante Alighieri : in Italian & English / the Italian text edited by Mario Casella of the University of Florence with the English version of H.F. Cary and 42 illustrations after the drawings by Sandro Botticelli.
- Additional Title(s):
Divine vision of Dante Alighieri
Divina commedia. English & Italian
- [London] : The Nonesuch Press, 1928.
- Physical Description:
- , 324,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 32 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPQ4302 .F28+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsPQ4302 .F28+ Copy 2 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "Of this edition 1475 copies have been printed on Van Gelder paper for sale in England and America: The Italian text is that established by Professor Casella in 1923 and by him revised for this edition. The English version by H.F. Cary was published first in 1814 and with corrections in 1844. The pictures have been reproduced from Botticelli's drawings measuring each about 18 1/2 by 12 1/2 inches in Berlin and Rome. The text has been printed by the Westminster Press in Poliphilus Roman capital letters and Blado italic small letters. The pictures have been printed by Daniel Jacomet."--Colophon.
Bound in full orange vellum with double line rule border on front and back covers. Title in gilt on spine.
Text in double columns in Italian and English.
Dreyfus, J. History of the Nonesuch Press, 50
BEIN Z65 O45: "This copy is number 1116."
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 is no. 1018 of 1475. Bound in orange vellum.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 is no. 1283 of 1475. Bound in orange vellum. In slipcase.
- Subject Terms:
- Dante Alighieri, 1265-1321 -- Translations into English.Hell -- Poetry.Paradise -- Poetry.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.Purgatory -- Poetry.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Photomechanical prints -- 1928
YCBA Collections Search
Dante Alighieri, 1265-1321, La divina commedia, or The divine vision of Dante Alighieri , 1928
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.