Caesar, Julius, Julius Caesar's Commentaries , 1951
- Julius Caesar's Commentaries : a modern rendering / by Somerset De Chair ; engravings by Clifford Webb.
- Alternate Title(s):
- De bello Gallico. English
- London : The Golden Cockerel Press, 1951.
- Physical Description:
- 311,  pages : illustrations ; 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPA6235 .A2 1951+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title vignette.
Maps on front and end paste-downs. Printed by Edward Stanford Ltd.
"Designed, produced, and published by Christopher Sandford at the Golden Cockerel Press, London. Composition and presswork by R. & R. Clark, Ltd., Edinburgh. The edition is limited to 320 numbered copies printed in Baskerville type on Arnold's mould-made paper. Nos. 1-70 are specially bound."--Page .
BEIN 2006 +382: No. 151. Bookplate, call no. label, and charge slip removed.
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 55 of 320, signed by the editor and engraver. Bound in gilt-stamped red morocco by Sangorski & Sutcliffe.
- Subject Terms:
- De Chair, Somerset -- Autograph.Gaul -- History -- 58 B.C.-511 A.D.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.Rome -- History -- Republic, 265-30 B.C.Webb, Clifford -- Autograph.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Wood engravings -- 1951.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.