Calè, Luisa, Fuseli's Milton gallery , 2006
- Fuseli's Milton gallery : turning readers into spectators / Luisa Cale.
- Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2006.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 259 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Reference LibraryPR408.A68 C36 2006 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Related Content:
- Table of contents only
- A comprehensive account of the circulation and adaptation of literature in late 18th-century art, explores the visual dimension of reading in an emerging visual culture and offers a range of new ways of reading literature and painting together.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The literary galleries, the market, and the field of art -- The spectator turned reader : printed text at the galleries -- The reader turned spectator : visual narratives -- Satan encountering death, sin interposing : Milton' s allegory and the politics of seeing -- The plot of Adam and Eve.
- Subject Terms:
- Art and literature -- England -- History -- 18th century.Books and reading -- England -- History -- 18th century.English literature -- History and criticism.English literature -- Illustrations.Fuseli, Henry, 1741-1825 -- Criticism and interpretation.Illustration of books -- England -- 18th century.Milton, John, 1608-1674. Paradise lost -- Illustrations.Popular culture -- England -- History -- 18th century.