Morphett, John, John Morphett drawing and writing exercise book, 1799
John Morphett drawing and writing exercise book.
- England, 1799.
- Physical Description:
- 1 v. (12 leaves) : ill. ; 12 x 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC485 .M67 1799Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Archives & Manuscripts
- Pen and black ink; with brown, red, blue, green, yellow, and purple wash.
Binding: Blue paper covers.
Manuscript drawing and writing exercise book, kept by John Morphett, at Beckley School, 1799. The first 7 leaves are used for writing exercises, the final 5 for drawing. The first leaf reads "John Morphett, Beckley School, December 3, 1799", in neat calligraphy; the second and third leaves read "John Morphett", in large capitals. The fourth leaf has definitions of the words "aulick" and "bond". The fifth repeats the author's name and date. Leaves six and seven have been used to practice writing promissory notes. The first of these, dated Manchester December 3rd 1799, is to William Manser for 20 pounds and 5 shillings; the second is an order to a Mr. Samson, dated London December 5th 1799, to pay Timothy Lanson 97 pounds.
The remainder of the book has been used for drawing practice. Each leaf bears two iterations of the same design. On the left, the design is drawn in pen and black ink, with gray wash; it is repeated on the right, in pen and black ink, with watercolors. Subjects comprise: a bunch of grapes, a bowl of cherries, a butterfly, a cow, and a pig.
- Subject Terms:
- Drawing -- Study and teaching -- Great Britain -- 18th century.Morphett, John.Penmanship -- Study and teaching.School notebooks -- Great Britain -- 18th century.Watercolor painting -- Study and teaching -- Great Britain -- 18th century.
- Calligraphy (visual works)
Penmanship specimen books.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.